Saturday, January 22, 2022

A Fresh Translation of John 14

 John 14


Don’t let your heart be upset; put your trust into God and put your trust into Me. There are many homes within the house of My Father; yet if not, would I have told you that I am going to fix up a place for you? And if I should go and fix up a place for you, I am coming again and I will receive you from here to Myself, so that where I am you also would be. And you know the Path where I am going. Thoma says to Him, “Lord, we don’t know where you’re going. How can we know the Path?” Yeshua says to him, “I am the Tao and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father if not through Me. If you were familiar with Me, you were also familiar with My Father. And from this point you are familiar with Him and have seen Him.” Philippos says to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Yeshua says to him, “I am with you for this much of a time and you haven’t recognized Me, Philippos? The person having seen Me has seen the Father; how then are you saying, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you trust that I am within the Father and the Father is within Me? The spoken words which I tell you I don’t talk from Myself, yet the Father making His home within Me does His deeds. Trust Me that I am within the Father and the Father is within Me; yet if not, trust because of the self-same deeds. Amen amen I tell you, the person putting his trust into Me the deeds which I am doing that person will also do and will do better than these, because I am going to the Father; and whatever thing you would ask with My name this thing I will do, so that the Father would be glorified with the Son; if you should ask Me anything with My name I will do it.

     If you love Me, you will keep these commands of Mine; and I will request from the Father and He will give to you another Advocate, so that It would be with you into the eon, the Spirit of the Truth, whom the system of this world can’t receive, because it doesn’t view neither does it recognize It; you recognize it, because It makes Its home alongside you and will be within you. I will not let you go orphans, I am coming to you. There is still a little bit and the universe no longer views Me, yet you are viewing Me, because I am alive you also will be alive. On that day you will recognize that I am within My Father and you are within Me and I am within you. The person possessing My commands and keeping them, that person is the one loving Me; yet the person loving Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will make Myself visible to him.” Y’hudah, not the Iskariot, says to Him, “Lord, what has happened that you are intending to make Yourself visible to us and not to the universe?” Yeshua answered and said to him, if someone loves Me he will keep the message communicated by My word, and My Father will love him and we will come to him and we will make a home alongside him. The person not loving Me doesn’t keep the messages communicated by My words; and the message which you are listening to isn’t Mine but of the Father who sent Me.

     I had talked to you these things making My home alongside you; yet the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send with My name, that One will teach you everything and remind you of everything which I told you. I let go peace to you, I am giving you the peace which is Mine; not just like the universe gives am I giving it to you. Don’t let your heart be upset neither let it be cowardly. You heard that I told you, “I am going and coming to you.” If you were loving Me you would have been rejoicing that I am going to the Father, because the Father is better than Me. And nowI have told you before the happening, so that when it should happen you would trust. I will no longer talk with you a lot, because the princeps of the system of this world is coming; and he possesses nothing by means of Me, but so that the universe would recognize that I love the Father, and just like the Father commanded Me, in this way I am doing. Get up, we are going from here.”


Note: The word “Tao” literally means something like “Way, Road, or Path” similar to the Greek word “οδος” which it is translating. “Tao means a road, path, way; and hence, the way in which one does something; method, doctrine, principle,” according to Waley, Arthur (1958). The way and its power: a study of the Tao tê ching and its place in Chinese thought. Grove Press. ISBN . According to the Wikipedia, “Laozi in the Tao Te Ching explains that the Tao is not a "name" for a "thing" but the underlying natural order of the Universe whose ultimate essence is difficult to circumscribe due to it being non-conceptual yet evident in one's being of aliveness. The Tao is "eternally nameless" (Tao Te Ching-32. Laozi) and to be distinguished from the countless "named" things which are considered to be its manifestations, the reality of life before its descriptions of it.” There is some correspondence between the Greek concept of the λογος and the Chinese concept of the “Tao.” These are the reasons why I have chose to render "Way" here in 14:6 as "Tao" as it felt appropriate to context of Who was speaking and what was being said.


No comments:

Post a Comment