Monday, June 24, 2013

A Ramble About Trusting in What You Can See


In the Old Testament readings in the lectionary over the last few days, the Ark of the Covenant, God's throne on earth during the time of the Tabernacle and the Temple, had been captured by the Philistines. I remember my professor of Old Testament History, Mr. Batten, in Bible School covering these chapters of first Samuel. The Israelites were being routed on the battlefield by the Philistines. The way he put it, their solution was to “go get the box”, the Ark of the Covenant. They made the mistake of trusting in “the box” which they could see instead of the God whose glory dwelt between the gold angels on the lid of the box. Instead of looking for God whom they couldn't see to save them from the Philistines, they looked to “the box” which they could see to save them. As a result, God allowed them to be slaughtered on the battlefield and “the box” was captured to teach both Israel and the Philistines a lesson in respect for Him.

Recently, my family and I visited a children's home in Gallup, New Mexico. As we were talking with some of the houseparents, we were discussing that we had wanted to start the home for disabled children which we're now researching by faith, depending on God for all the resources needed. In the course of the conversation, one of the houseparents brought up another children's home that was also supposed to be operating on a “by faith” basis. Someone had donated upwards of eight million dollars to this children's home. It came to pass that they were looking to put up a new building, and rather than pray and seek God's will and provision for it, because they already had the eight million, they just went ahead and did it, because they already had the money. Without giving more specifics, he said that money nearly destroyed that children's home because the people stopped trusting in God, and started trusting in their bank account.

When we started the journey which we're on, we went out with almost no money and only half a tank of gas, trusting that God would somehow supply our needs, and He did. Then, someone donated about four hundred dollars for our journey, and we were able to get gas and stay at an RV park for a few days in Flagstaff, Arizona. On the way back to the interstate highway, I saw someone sitting at a street corner with a sign which said, “traveling, need money.” It pulled at me to give him something out of what we had, even if it was only five dollars, because we ourselves had no resources of our own. But I didn't. The fear crept up that we wouldn't have enough if I did that. And my opportunity to share what God had given passed in that moment and I immediately knew I had done something wrong. I had put my trust in the money in my wallet, rather than the God who had provided it. I then became worried that somehow this would come back to bite us and I confessed it to my wife who also had wondered if we shouldn't have given something to him.

Sure enough, within a couple of days, our money ran dry and we wound up staying a night in a Walmart parking lot. We continued to try and visit children's homes, but those doors closed. After a day, only one opened up for us to do it, and it was fifty miles from where we were at. We had only a quarter tank of gas left to get there (at 5mpg, that isn't a lot, trust me). We made it, but used up most of our remaining gas doing it. We had just enough money between the five of us (including a ten dollar loan from my teenage daughter) to get enough gas to make it to a second Walmart parking lot where we could only stay for one night (the previous one would have let us stay two). My fears overwhelmed me at this point as I was only looking at my empty wallet and empty gas tank. I felt defeated, and I was terrified as all the worst case scenarios kept flooding into my mind.

The dumb thing about this was that we weren't much worse off than when we started our journey, and we still began driving by faith. But the difference, as I see now, was that we went without anything we could see to begin with. Once we had resources we could see, my faith crept away from God and towards those resources.

St. Ignatius of Loyola keeps coming to my mind, as do the writings of the Desert Fathers, but St. Ignatius especially. Upon his conversion (for lack of a better word), he gave up all of his wealth and status and went barefoot, wearing only the clothes of the poor. He then resolved to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem taking nothing with him. When he accepted charity from others along the way, he only used what he needed for that day, and then feeling increasingly guilty he immediately gave the rest to the nearest beggar he could find. He wanted to get rid of the earthly resources as quickly as he could. To my earthly mind this seemed incredibly impractical at first. I mean, why not just save what he was given for when he needed it later? But this isn't the way of faith, and he, even in those earlier days, knew it. The way of faith, the path of Jesus Christ, isn't to trust what you have in your hand, but to trust the God who put it there. Jesus demonstrated this in a practical way when he sent out the twelve and told them to take nothing with them but the clothes on their backs.

There is also a lesson in these chapters of Samuel with regards to the sons of Eli. These “priests” had absolutely no respect for the meat which was offered to the Lord. According to the law, the meat which was sacrificed went to feed the priests, but it still belonged to the Lord. Eli's sons acted as though it belonged to them. As a result, when they carried “the box” into battle, they were killed as God had said through Samuel.

I have been impressed time and again on this journey that the money which is donated to us may be for us to use, but it belongs to the Lord. People aren't donating to us, but to Him. When I held on tight to the few dollars I could have given to the man on the street corner, I was acting no better than Eli's sons, and over the next few days the Lord let me know it painfully. He did relent later that night and permit people to donate, and we never went without what we really needed. He only really permitted the terror of being without, not the reality, but I heard His message loud and clear through it.

Today, I looked in my wallet and I still have more money than I did a few days ago. I looked at my gas gauge and it still has more gas in it than it did then. But knowing that I would need far more over the next few days I began to be afraid again, and the fears started to surface again. Even having heard and understood the message, my faith still crept over to my resources rather than the God who supplies them. It's altogether too easy for it to happen. I'm realizing more and more through these things that faith thrives easier when it's all that's in your possession. More than this, and it has to compete with the things you can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment