Friday, May 22, 2009

How Could This Happen?

I hope you'll forgive the expression, but I had a "WTF" moment the other day. This is a texting term which literally spells out to "what the f#$%?" In Bible School we would have replaced the profane ending with "fudge". Being a sci-fi nerd, I'm a little partial to the BSG version, "frak". But however you interpret these three letters in the texting lingo, they represent immediate and sudden confusion and even disbelief at what you're being told. They ask essentially, "how could this happen?"

I read an article online the other night about the first African American female Rabbi being ordained next week. I have no problems with her being African American. There are a great many African Americans I highly respect. I have no real problems with her being a "her", as it falls within the Jewish tradition to which she currently belongs to determine if that is appropriate. They believe it is, so who am I to argue with another religion's practices?

What shoved this three letter phrase into my conscious mind was reading her short biography which was included in the article. She had been raised in a Pentecostal family who allowed her to explore other religions from an early age. She was given her first Hebrew grammar by a "devout" uncle. In other words, this woman as a child was part of a Christian household, and she willingly and with the support of her Christian family abandoned Jesus Christ at a young age to follow a covenant which, according to the New Testament, is no longer valid.

WTF?

Did her family not explain the Gospel to her? Do they not understand it themselves? Were there questions which they couldn't answer? How could they not only have allowed this to happen, but also supported her in it? Don't they realize that the philosophy and theology of Judaism which is practiced today was largely conceived of and implemented by that group of men who not only plotted to have Jesus Christ successfully executed by the secular authorities, but also made sure that every Jewish Rabbi who read their writings would denounce Him as a blasphemer and false Messiah thereafter? How could this happen?

This isn't the first convert to another religion from Christianity which I've met or heard of, but it shouldn't be happening. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the power of God to salvation for all those who believe irregardless of where they come from. Why would anyone come to the conclusion that they can't find what they're looking for outside of the Gospel?

Don't misunderstand me on this point. This criticism isn't directed at these people who convert. The people to whom I have spoken are sincere and to themselves well reasoned in their decision to leave the Christian faith as they understood it. In their position, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. They are seeking the Truth, and this is never a bad thing. What is it about the Christian practice and faith which they were taught which is lacking in that Truth?

I cannot believe that it is one and the same with the Christian faith and practice which is taught and described in the New Testament. I cannot believe that it is the same as the teachings of Jesus Christ. I cannot believe that it is the same as the Truth which St. Paul fought to the death, literally, to defend, practice, and spread throughout his world.

This criticism is leveled at those who were responsible to pass this Truth and Faith on to these people. How could they let this happen? Is the blood of Jesus Christ so valueless to them that they would willingly encourage and support someone seeking answers elsewhere? Did they not have those answers, or that One Answer themselves? And if so who was responsible for passing it on properly and correctly to them? Did their own church leaders not understand themselves?

There is, it is my opinion, some truth to be found outside of our own Church traditions. Sometimes, as I have found in my own experience, these can help us look at our own theologies and interpretations of scripture and tradition with a fresh set of eyes and actually help deepen our faith and understanding. In many respects, the Buddhist tradition, and Buddhist writings did this and actually pointed me back to Jesus Christ, forcing me to work through many issues and in the process maturing and deepening my faith in Him.

But I am not Buddhist, neither will I ever be. As much truth may be found within Buddhism, it is a tradition and philosophy which does not present the complete picture, and itself can only be fulfilled and brought to completion by Jesus Christ. Judaism is the same way. It can only be fulfilled and brought to completion by the acceptance of Jesus Christ as the Messiah and rightful heir to the throne of David. Without the Truth that is Jesus Christ, no tradition or philosophy can be considered as either mature or complete.

In reality, this is our collective fault. This is the collective fault of the Church. When the Church itself doesn't follow what Jesus Christ taught. When I concern myself with theological or practical minutiae which don't matter one whit in my own struggle to remain in Him, or in my attempts to assist the struggle of others to remain in Him, then it is my fault. When others can't see the Gospel lived out bodily in everything I do, when they can only see me, and don't notice Jesus Christ, when I actually have to tell them that I follow Jesus Christ and truly experience the Eternal Life of God through Him instead of them being able to see that for themselves without me opening my mouth; I am to blame. When I treat the blood of Jesus Christ as worthless, whether I mean to, or can't see what I'm doing because I've allowed myself to be blinded, then I encouraged those people to look for the Truth elsewhere. And with trembling, I may answer for it. Do I want Him asking me, "WTF?"

If we don't possess the Truth ourselves, then others won't be able to find Him either. If we don't take Him seriously, then neither will those who observe us. If we act as "sons of Gehenna," then so will those who watch us to know how to experience the Truth. Monkey see, monkey do.

I wish this new Rabbi well. I wish her to have a fruitful and profitable spiritual life, and for her to know and experience the God of Israel. But I am outraged and angry that those who were charged with leading her to Him in Truth shirked their duty and left her to find Truth elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment