Tuesday, September 27, 2022

A Ramble about Dogs, Goats, and the Love of God

    God showed me something today, and really over the last little while, but it really just drove home to me this morning. It's about how He feels about both attacker and the one being attacked.
I love every animal on this farm. I don't really have any favorites. We've raised every one of them from infants, and I've hugged, played with, and cuddled every one of them: dogs, cats, rabbits, goats, and chickens alike. Every one of them I consider my "babies," and they know it and come to me when I approach wanting attention and affection.
    Over the last several months, our German Shepherd Yasi developed a bad "habit" of attacking Raina, our Scotch Collie, at night before bed, and doing so pretty viciously. I love both dogs, and seeing Raina being hurt, and then having to do what I have to to train and discipline Yasi including putting her on the ground and using the shock setting on her collar just breaks my heart because I know both are scared and in pain, even if for different reasons. I hate the situation and Yasi's hormonal problems which are causing it, even as I absolutely love both animals.
    Another situation is with our female goats. Again, all of them are my "babies." We've even bottle fed three of the females. They know me, trust me, and come to me for affection and attention. But two of the goats, Tauriel and Galadriel, pick on their "sister" (really their cousin), Arwen, mercilessly, especially if she gets her horns caught in something. They'll ram her sides continuously until we can get to her and free her. It breaks my heart to see, especially since Arwen is the most gentle of them all. I know they're being goats and establishing dominance, but it just gets vicious at times, and this morning we found Arwen caught in a fence with blood on her ear and walking with a limp because of it. I hate seeing what they're doing to her, and I have a feeling part of it is their age and hormones too, but I love and care for Tauri and Galad just as much as I do for Arwen. The actions make me angry even as I know it's a part of their nature as she-goats.
    I love all of the animals, but I hate seeing them hurt one another regardless of the reason. I can't always separate them without having worse consequences, and I know they have to settle it in their own way or else I will constantly be refereeing and won't be getting anything done. They won't really mature if I do that any more than if I was constantly refereeing for my own children into their adulthood. Eventually, they have to learn to work it out on their terms.
    And this is the analogy God showed me this morning about us. He hates when we harm one another, but loves each one of us dearly. He hates what we do to each other because He loves each one of us, and each one of us are His "babies." He hates what causes us to harm one another, but doesn't hate any one of us. He just wants us to stop hurting each other just like I just want our animals to stop going after each other. And it hurts Him every time one of us is hurt by another, just like it hurts me every time one of the animals is hurt by another. I care for, feed, provide for, and watch every single one of them. So does He with us. I am invested with every one of them. So is He with us.

1 comment: