Sunday, November 18, 2018

A Ramble About Feeling God's Presence


Recently on Facebook, twice now on my feed I have seen a meme which says something to the effect of “You can really only ever enjoy two things in life, Serotonin and Dopamine.” For those that don’t know, these are two neurotransmitters in the human nervous system which have to do with feelings of pleasure and well being. Chemically or neurologically speaking, you can’t feel happy without these two chemicals being released into the synapses of your brain..

I was reflecting on this at church this morning during the worship part of the service. The church we currently attend has a contemporary type worship service with a band and regular worship leaders and singers. Those who sing and lead worship are very good at what they do and I dare say could probably sing professionally. The music being sung and the feeling in the room are positive, uplifting, and as I was watching, most people participating had their arms outstretched and were singing with profound emotion lead in various ways by the meaning of the words, the sincere expressions of those leading it, and the melodies and beat of the music.

There is nothing wrong with feeling sincere emotion during a church service. People are frequently affected emotionally in a positive way and are moved to devotion, love, faith, and repentance by that emotional outpouring. Let me be clear about that before I go on so that I am not misunderstood.

Frequently, in many church services and in many churches that I have attended, people make the mistake that what they are feeling at the moment is the Holy Spirit. Now, it is perfectly possible for the Holy Spirit to bring about those feelings in the same way that being with a much loved friend or significant other can bring about those feelings. But where the problem comes in, and I have seen and heard this from people, is that when those feelings die down, they feel like somehow God has left them. In response to this, they then do whatever they can to bring about the return of those positive feelings and “get pumped for Jesus” in order to “revive” the Holy Spirit within them.

It is a mistake to confuse the Holy Spirit's presence or control with emotion. I have experienced both enough times in my life to have established a baseline for recognizing both. Emotion feels great for a time and makes you more susceptible to follow the crowd around you. It's a little like intoxication, removing inhibitions and making you feel more than you are due to the increased flow of those neurotransmitters I mentioned at the beginning of this Ramble. When the emotions die down however, it's like crashing after a high and the person wonders why the "Spirit" has left, sometimes even doubting their salvation or whether or not God really loves them.

The control and presence of the Holy Spirit is an entirely different experience. When this has happened with me, there has rarely been any change in my emotional state, but I often suddenly know things or say things that I wouldn't or couldn't have before. I am able to empathize with and see into other people in ways that are not naturally possible for me. There is a lovingkindness and compassion that projects from within out towards the other person, or towards me personally. This possession by Him tends to be calm, and if there are any emotions attached to it, they never originate with me. I have felt both His overwhelming love, and His intense anger, as well as His resignation to a humanity that is hell bent on destroying itself. But there is always that knowing sense that it is a cooperation and not from me.

The truth is that God does not leave. By the very nature of His existence, He is literally everywhere you are, and everywhere any part of creation exists. There are times when He allows us to have an almost tangible awareness of this constant presence around and within us, but there are also times when it seems like either He withdraws our awareness of His presence, or we simply stop paying attention to His constant presence and lose our awareness of it that way. And when those times happen it can feel as though we have been plunged into a pitch dark room, and we can begin to panic.

The thing about rooms when they are pitch dark, there is no real difference to them than when all the lights were turned on. The design of the room hasn’t changed. The furniture hasn’t been moved. It’s exactly the same as when the lights were on. The only thing which has changed is our ability to sense it, and this is what causes the panic which rises within us.

The emotional lows which can happen through either the worship feelings wearing off or from bad circumstances happening around us can make it feel like we’ve been plunged into that pitch dark room. The crash from the high created by the dialing back of the Serotonin and Dopamine to be replaced by neurotransmitters dealing with stress and fear responses can be terrifying and depressing. But none of these chemical emotional reactions give any real indication of how near or far God is from us. Whether we are feeling positive or negative has no bearing on the reality of His presence around us or His concern or care for us or anyone else. Just because the light has been turned off, doesn’t mean the room has changed. Just because the music fades, doesn’t mean He’s not still there. God can stir emotions, but He is not emotion. There can be good feelings associated with Him, but He is not those good feelings.

Understanding the difference takes time and experience getting to know Him, and it’s very easy to allow yourself to make this mistake as you try and discern the distinction between Him and your own thoughts, emotions, and inner demons. His voice and promptings, His “cues”, are frequently quiet, and all too easily ignored or missed if you’re not intentionally paying attention, and can be missed altogether if you’re too caught up in your own “stuff.” They may be of profound import, or they may even seem somewhat mundane but in your best interests.

The other night, I wanted to go and get some kind of cereal. I’ve been having more stomach issues lately due to stress, and sometimes it can help settle my stomach. But instead of going to the “cheap” supermarket I normally would, I got the distinct direction to go to the store that I knew would be more expensive. Since I also knew that I’d be able to get my wife’s salad mix there cheaper (ironically) than at the “cheap” store, I headed over to the more expensive one, and if I were to be honest, not really expecting to find anything. When I picked up the salad mix, I headed over to the cereal aisle to find something. Lo and behold, the only cold cereal which my whole family can eat (my family having severe food allergies) was on sale for $1.99 a box, almost half off the regular price. It was a little thing, and certainly not earth shatteringly important, but He directed me to that particular store against all conventional wisdom to find the only cereal we could eat on sale. It was not an emotion, it was not a feeling positive or negative, it was just this inaudible understanding that I should go to the other store instead of the one I had intended to. No further explanation, not telling me what I would find there, or even what I was looking for exactly. Just “I think you should head to this place instead of that place.”

There is a term used among ancient Christian writers called a “Holy Darkness”. It’s used to describe this inability to use our senses to experience God as He is. It’s the pitch black room we have to navigate in our getting to know Him personally. It’s the understanding that He is something “other” than our brain trying to interpret the world around it. This Holy Darkness can be disorienting much as the room without light. But with experience and patience, it can be navigated and explored and in the process of doing so we discover the One who has been there all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment