Monday, August 27, 2018

A Ramble About Assassin's Creed


Recently, I’ve been re-watching some well done game movies. I have, since my employment working at children’s homes several years ago, been mostly unable to play certain games at times without a stress or panic reaction. As a result, either watching someone else play them (such as my son), or watching some of these well crafted videos on Youtube is one of the few ways I can enjoy some of these otherwise inaccessible stories.

A “game movie” is when someone takes the time and trouble to take the cut-scenes (in-game stretches of video used to advance the story) and a minor amount of recorded game play and edits them together into a watchable movie which focuses on the game’s actual storyline rather than the actual gameplay. With some games this is a wasted effort as the developers of the game have not made the effort to focus on good story. But with others, the results are nothing short of amazing and well worth the several hours it takes to watch through them.

One series of game movies I have recently been watching again are from the Assassin’s Creed games. These are a series of historically centered games where the player takes on the roles of both a modern protagonist and a pseudo-historical figure whose story weaves in and out of both actual historical events and the lives of actual historical people. The series has covered time periods including the Crusades, renaissance Italy and post conquest Constantinople, the American Revolution, the French Revolution, Caribbean Pirates, late nineteenth century London, and 1st Century B.C.E. Egypt and all with engaging stories, very human characters, and a passonate attention to detail. The recent feature film of the same name set in medieval Spain was also well done and followed the same template as the games.

The general idea of each of the games is that you, as the main protagonist, are reliving the memories of an ancestor found in samples of DNA. In order to unlock more memories, and thus progress through the story of the game, you are required to “synchronize” with your ancestor’s memories by reliving those memories making the same decisions and taking the same actions they did. In this way also, the main protagonist is training his own muscle memory to respond and react with his ancestor’s muscle memories. You do this by following their code of conduct and honor called the “Assassin’s Creed” while completing their missions. Failure to abide by the Assassin’s Creed or failure to complete the mission will result in desychronization which will then make you return to the beginning of the memory and start over.

I was thinking the other day about this concept of “synchronization” with one’s ancestor. In John 15, Jesus tells his disciples “Remain in Me, and I in you.” The more familiar King James Version of this line reads “Abide in me, and I in you.” There have been a number of spiritual books written on this concept of “Abiding in Christ” and what that means, but as I have been re-familiarizing myself with these games, I keep coming back to this idea of being synchronized.

What was Jesus saying when He told those with Him that night, and through them us, to remain within Him? In 1 John 2:3-6 (WEB) the apostle writes:

"This is how we know that we know him: if we keep his commandments. One who says, “I know him,” and doesn’t keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn’t in him. But whoever keeps his word, God’s love has most certainly been perfected in him. This is how we know that we are in him: he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.”

So, from John’s understand of what Jesus said that night, remaining in Him means to do what Jesus did. In other words, remaining in Jesus is to be synchronized to Jesus, following His teachings, taking the same actions, and doing what Jesus did being of the same mind with Him in perhaps the same way the protagonist in Assassin’s Creed must do what his ancestor did and follow the tenets of his ancestor’s code in order to remain synchronized. In the same way, not following what He taught and doing what He did is proof of desynchronization with Him and thus not remaining in Him. And in John’s gospel in chapter 15:6 (WEB), this desynchronization is just as disastrous and counterproductive if not much more so as it is in the game:

"If a man doesn’t remain in me, he is thrown out as a branch, and is withered; and they gather them, throw them into the fire, and they are burned.”

The goal of the Christian life, upon reflection of this unlooked for parallel, is full synchronization with Jesus Christ. This can be seen throughout the writings of the New Testament and especially in the writings of St. Paul who wrote in Galatians 2:20 (WEB):

"I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me. That life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.”

And also in Philippians 3:8-16 (WEB):

Yes most certainly, and I count all things to be loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus, my Lord, for whom I suffered the loss of all things, and count them nothing but refuse, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own, that which is of the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, becoming conformed to his death; if by any means I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained, or am already made perfect; but I press on, if it is so that I may take hold of that for which also I was taken hold of by Christ Jesus. Brothers, I don’t regard myself as yet having taken hold, but one thing I do. Forgetting the things which are behind, and stretching forward to the things which are before, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, think this way. If in anything you think otherwise, God will also reveal that to you. Nevertheless, to the extent that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule. Let us be of the same mind.”

We aren’t assassins, and this life is no game, but we do have a Creed by which we must abide and a figure to whom we must be synchronized if we are to make progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment