Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Ramble About Faith in Prayer


I wrote down several passages today that caught my attention. I've been reading through different books of the New Testament over the last few months in the Greek text. (As to why I've been doing this, the truth is that it's been long in coming. I started learning Greek when I was fifteen, and now, twenty three years later, I'm at a point where English translations begin to really bug me and I find myself crossing out the words in italics in my English Bible which I know really shouldn't be there. I then asked myself “the” question, “why, if I know the original well enough am I still bothering with a middleman's work, however scholarly and well done?” So, I quit making excuses and just took the plunge. Besides this, it makes my reading slow down enough to where I can actually take the time to think and meditate on what I read devotionally.) The latest book I've been reading through has been Matthew, although the truth is that I cheated a little. I started in Matthew five, rather than Matthew one, because I really wanted to jump to the meat of what Jesus taught.

The thing that caught my eye this time, and that I've been pondering now for some time is Jesus' insistence that if we have even the smallest size of faith we can order mountains, trees, and shrubbery to do the most unnatural things, and they will obey. The reason why it struck me this time is that I realized today that Matthew records Jesus as saying it more than once in his gospel. For some reason, I kept thinking the only repetitions of this were in between Gospels, and were of the same event. They are not. I have thought, more and more over the years, that anything the Gospel writers took pains to record more than once was an important enough part of His teaching that He said it regularly. In Matthew, the two occurrences which stuck out to me are:

He said to them, Because of your unbelief. For most certainly I tell you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.” (Matthew 17:20, WEB)

Jesus answered them, “Most certainly I tell you, if you have faith, and don’t doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you told this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it would be done. All things, whatever you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Matthew 21-21-22, WEB)

I then started looking up other similar passages in John's writings, and also in James, that had stuck out to me:

You didn’t choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatever you will ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you.” (John 15:16, WEB)

Most certainly I tell you, whatever you may ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.” (John 16:23b, WEB)

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, without any doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven by the wind and tossed. For let that man not think that he will receive anything from the Lord He is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.” (James 1:5-8, WEB)

This is the boldness which we have toward him, that, if we ask anything according to his will, he listens to us. And if we know that he listens to us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions which we have asked of him.” (1 John 5:14-15, WEB)

I have been trying to understand these passages more, especially in reference to my own prayers and my own faith, or lack thereof. Jesus and His immediate disciples were insistent on this point and so it should not be taken lightly, and neither should the power it represents be. At the same time, I and many others know from experience that God does not always give us what we ask for when we ask for it. I believe that there are many reasons for this. More often than not, it's because what we ask for isn't in our best interests as He sees it. The closer we draw to Him, the better able we are to sense this in our requests through Grace and the Holy Spirit. But because of this, there always exists the element of doubt, even if it is just, “I am asking for this, but what if God doesn't think it's the best thing for me?”

In my previous Ramble I explored the nature of Sacrament and the relationship of God's uncreated energies to faith in Jesus Christ. In the same way, according to these passages, our requests in prayer, according to Jesus, are directly related to our faith in Him and belief that He will do as we ask. According to the Apostle John, there is the added stipulation that it be asked according to His will. And according to James the Elder, there can be no doubting that God will grant what is asked, otherwise the person asking shouldn't expect anything to happen because he really doesn't expect anything to happen to begin with.

So, as I have been meditating on this, it comes back to what I was saying previously. The transforming, uncreated energies of God are made active in direct proportion to our faith in Christ, as is also the movement of God for which we ask through prayer. To round this out, I will add that the charismata are likely made active and empowered in direct proportion to our faith in Christ as well.

So then, how do we approach this? Faith isn't faith unless it produces action. As I have said many times, you will always act on what you truly believe. Whether or not that's what you say you believe remains to be seen by what you do. So we must approach prayer in the same way we must approach every other aspect of our transforming relationship with God through Jesus Christ, by Grace through this kind of genuine faith. The faith which precedes the actions of faith.

This is why St. Peter began to sink beneath the waves when he took his eyes off of Jesus. He started believing something else besides the fact that through Jesus he could walk on the stormy water. I think this is also the problem in my own life. I began to look at the storms raging around me, and began to believe more that they would sink me, rather than believing that Jesus would hold me up regardless of the storms. Like St. Peter, I cried out “Lord, save me!” And like St. Peter, Jesus gently rebuked me, grabbing my hand and calling me, “little-faith.” While at the same time letting me know that He was still there and wasn't going to let me sink. We still haven't made it back to the boat yet, to carry the analogy further, but we're on the way.

In the ancient church, there are records of healings, exorcisms, and astounding miracles for centuries after Jesus ascended. Many of them were performed through the clergy, but many of them were also demonstrated through the laity as well and were commonplace among the church for centuries, because of their faith. At one time, exorcisms were the routine office of the laity, not the priests or bishops, and could be performed on the fly without preparation. This was the level of faith and discipleship which the church maintained at one time. It is striking that they ceased to be commonplace in proportion to the enculturation of the Christian faith among the people. When it became trendy and popular to be “Christian”, the true signs of a disciple were relegated to those “special Saints.”

I am reminded of a key line from the movie Prince of Egypt, “Believe, and you will see God's wonders.” The main reason why we don't see them so commonplace among us now, I think should be obvious. Jesus pretty much spelled it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment