Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Ramble About The God of The Impossible


God does nothing small. Not when He sets out to glorify Himself, make Himself known, or set His seal on something. He makes it absolutely certain that it is Him, only Him, and that it is impossible for anyone else. I realized this today. My prayers went unanswered, not because they were too big, or because the general outcome wasn't what God wanted, but because my thinking and my prayers were too limited in scope.

My family's RV was towed back to an auto shop yesterday for the mechanics to begin work on it after we broke down in Kingman over two weeks ago. For the last two weeks, God has provided for us, and opened doors for us that we hadn't even realized existed when we set out two weeks ago. We set out to get training, experience, ideas, and advice for the disabled children's ranch we had dreamed of starting. God let us know it was time to get to work on it, and so by faith we followed where He led. After we broke down and were given what seemed to be horrible news on the state of our RV's engine, He led us to Kingman Christian Church (KCC), where we met some amazing, godly people.

We met people such as Pastor Brian Van Dyke, who very obviously lives what he preaches, and who allowed us to park our non-functional RV in the church parking lot and provided power and water hookups, and even a sewer drain for our waste-water tanks. We met people like Dotty and Bruce Bollinger who themselves run a tiny, four acre ranch and run a ministry teaching disabled kids to ride horses on nothing but Bruce's full time job and God's grace. The Bollingers brought us out to their ranch where we helped out with chores, and they let us do our laundry, and the kids were able to do a little riding. We also met people like Lottie and Anna, who own and run the H.A.L.T. animal rescue on nothing but faith and individual donations, and the volunteers who regularly help out there, through whom God provided by their allowing us to borrow their vehicles not knowing that we would need a separate vehicle until after they let us borrow them on two separate occasions. And through all of these encounters God helped us really begin to nail down the plan and logistics of the ministry we have set out to begin.

And now, it is time for us to be moving on in our journey, but to do this we must first repair the RV. After being told the engine block itself would need to be replaced at the first auto shop, we were towed to KCC. After that, we were told by four separate mechanics that it was the head gaskets, and the engine block was probably fine.

Today, after the mechanic was able to pull the heads off he showed me the reality of the situation, which the first mechanics hadn't done. There were scratches inside the block from where the O-rings had broken. He also showed me where two of the pistons had begun to melt.

I had been praying all of yesterday, and all of this morning that the repairs would be a lot less expensive than we were quoted (originally $8000, then $1500) because we only had a little over $700. I had been praying that God would make the situation manageable for my meager resources. God said no. It was in fact the engine block that would need to be replaced.

Then God did something else, the owner of the shop did a full estimate on sourcing a used engine block, and all of the work needed to get us back on the road. He found a block ready to go, and gave me the new estimate, $3500. Much less than the original, but still way beyond my means. After admitting this to the owner, Rigo Torres, he said, “Well, how much do you have right now?” I told him. He then said, “How much of a deposit can you put down?” After doing some quick and optimistic figuring on how much we would need for food and living expenses in the RV, I said “$600.” He then told me to go ahead come down to the office, fill out some paperwork, put down the $600 and they would get started on the work, and we could get him the rest of it as we got it in. He said, “We need to get you guys back on the road. That's my priority right now.”

God doesn't do prayers when they're focused on my meager abilities. “God, please make this mountain smaller so I can move it myself. Pretty please?” God doesn't do that. He is the One who moves mountains, minds, and hearts. Not me. He is God Almighty, All-Sovereign, and omnipotent through whom the entire created multiverse exists, moves, and has its being. When He acts, it is not to bring things down to my level, but to make it clear in no uncertain terms that He is the one acting, and He is the only One who is able to do it.

As my wife and I sat down to actually start drawing out plans for our mission, I also am coming to realize that either God brings it about, or it doesn't happen. What we are envisioning is huge. Almost a small town on eighty-one acres. And as I relate it back our broken down RV, either God is behind us and behind our mission, or He isn't. If we can't trust Him for something as small as $3500 (and I've seen Him do twice that in a single day, long story), then there's no way the mission will be built. Either He's behind us and we move on from here, or He's not, and we're stopped right here in our tracks. But there's no middle ground. There's no compromise. There's no, “bring this down to my level so I can do it myself.” There's only, “I AM God Almighty, walk before Me in fear and trembling. I AM and there is none like Me. I work, and who can reverse it? I move mountains. I calm the seas. I do this so you and everyone will see My wonders and know that I AM, and that I AM the one who moves you.”

I paid the $600 deposit. $2900 to go. At this point, all I can do is stand back, let people know what's happening, and wait to see God's wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment