Monday, April 22, 2013

A Ramble About Jedi Christianity


Several years ago I saw a book in the bookstore that I knew at the time I just had to have, Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Masters by Dick Staub. Not being able to afford it at the time, I read through the first chapter which had been made available at the time and it sounded great. I thought this is something I really need to check out. It was in this book that I first read the idea that “our generation has no Yodas” referring to those of us in the Church. It was around this time that I also came across another book, The Dharma of Star Wars by Matthew Bortolin which used ideas and concepts from the Jedi in Star Wars to present Buddhist teaching and ideas. Being both a religious studies nerd and a Star Wars geek I naturally bought both when I had the chance.

I began reading the book by Staub with relish hoping to really find some good wisdom and “Jedi-up” my own faith and practice. But as I got further into it, the more disappointed I became. The book itself made reference to different sayings and characters from Star Wars and had a few quotes from a few spiritual authors, but in general it became apparent that the author really didn't know what “Jedi Christianity” was supposed to look like either. He presented the same basics of Christian faith and practice which are taught over and over in most evangelical churches every Sunday, and didn't himself seem to understand the more meaty truths which those spiritual authors were trying to convey. It seemed like he promised the world, but didn't know how to deliver it. Needless to say, I was so disappointed with the book that after the first few chapters, I skimmed through it to see if it went anywhere. Finding that it didn't, I couldn't bring myself to continue it.

The problem wasn't with Staub's intentions in writing the book. And I understand his statement when he says that “this generation has no Yodas.” But in seeking to bring us the wisdom of Christianity's own Jedi masters, he himself didn't understand how to use or interpret the wisdom they had to impart and so he fell back to the ground which was familiar and which he knew he could safely talk about. As I have written about before, this isn't uncommon among pastors of any denomination.

In modern American culture, to be a “Jedi Master” at something is along the same lines as what the term “Kung Fu” means to the Chinese. It means to study and practice your chosen discipline so much that you achieve a mastery or proficiency at it that goes beyond the normal every day that others get by with.

In the Christian faith, there have been true Jedi Masters who have walked the path of Jesus Christ so closely that Jesus was nearly impossible to miss in everything they did and said. I, and probably you, can think of several right off the top of my head; St. Paul the Apostle, St. Peter the Apostle, St. Francis of Assisi, Mother Theresa of Calcutta, St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. John of the Cross, Hudson Taylor, and Watchman Nee just to name a few. Many of these Masters left writings behind, some intentionally and some unintentionally, for others to learn from and imitate them just as they also imitated Christ.

Becoming a Jedi Christian begins along the same lines that Yoda expressed to his apprentices. It requires the deepest of commitments and the most serous mind. It requires that you not only read what Jesus taught, but also that you follow it. Like the Jedi, it requires that you let go of those attachments which cause you to fear losing them and as a result keep you from the love He commands and calls us to, because fear leads to hate and hate to the suffering of those who don't know Him. Like the Jedi, it requires that you not rely on yourself as much as you rely on the One who binds us, penetrates us, and holds the galaxy together. The Jedi Masters of Christianity gave up everything that weighed them down so that they could gain Christ, the only goal that was of any real importance to them. All, like the Master, were persecuted, some by fellow “Christians”, most were physically beaten, many were tortured, and many were tortured to death. But in there lives, however long or short they were, they wielded such a power through the Grace of God that lives were changed and the world would never be the same.

In Christian, well... mostly Catholic parlance we call these Jedi Masters “Saints” because we can look at their lives and writings and see Jesus loud and clear in them. All too often we tend to hold them up on pedestals and think, “oh, that's only for the very special. I can't do that.” The truth however is that we all, every person who professes to follow Jesus Christ, are called to be “Saints.” Jedi Christianity isn't for just the occasional super Christian, it's meant for all of us to walk in their footsteps because they walked in His.

The reason why there are no Yodas in our generation is because these Jedi Masters have been ignored for far too long or placed on the “too holy for you” shelf for far too long, much like Jesus Christ Himself. The radical way in which they abandoned the world to follow Christ is all but scandalous is many if not most churches, and it terrifies pastors because it calls them to leave behind their own comfortable middle class lives to engage in something that will be ridiculed and demonized.

I don't know if the Lord will grant me the Grace to truly be able to follow in their footsteps, but the more I get to know Him and experience Him the more I realize that this is the goal I want more than anything else. I may never reach “Yoda” status, and I might spend the rest of my life as a “Padawan” just trying to figure out which end of the lightsaber you don't point towards you. But I have come to realize that for me, nothing else will do, and no other goal is worth anything except for this, not for my own glory, but so that I might gain everything God wants me to gain in His Son Jesus Christ. Will this mean hardship? Yes. Will this mean taking actions that make absolutely no sense from the world's point of view? Yes. Will this mean possibly following both them and Him in suffering the way they did? Probably, and it terrifies me at the prospect. But beyond that fear lies God who is perfect love and who casts out all fear through faith in Him. Beyond that fear lies knowledge of the power of His Grace and love against which nothing can stand. Beyond that fear lies His Eternal Life and Kingdom, union with Him through His Son Jesus Christ. There can be no greater goal than the one which God laid down for us through His Son our Lord Jesus Christ.

There may be no Yodas now, but it doesn't have to stay that way. All it takes is someone willing to bet the whole of their lives on a sure thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment