Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Ramble About Being Naked in a Dream

Have you ever had a dream where you were either in your underwear or completely naked all of a sudden? From what I've seen and read, it is usually interpreted as you being insecure about some part of yourself and the feeling of being naked or exposed is then rendered by your unconscious mind into an awkward and embarrassing situation.

I had a dream like that this morning. I was trying to get the results from a test I had taken when I found myself completely without clothes, and I mean completely. Not a pretty sight. In the dream I first reacted with surprise and a bit of panic and then I realized there was nothing I could do about it. This is who I was ugly or pretty without all the outward adornments and coverings to keep it hidden and make it presentable. So, armed with this knowledge, I calmly drew myself up, and calmly walked out of the room. I noticed stares and snickering, but could do nothing about it, so I ignored it and continued accepting myself as myself. As I did this, I became more comfortable with it, less worried and more calm, and then an interesting thing happened. The next scene in my dream, I was fully clothed.

We are who we are warts and all. No matter how many costumes we put on, no matter how much make-up, or how many layers of clothing, who we are, our strengths and our weaknesses will always come through. Who we are does change over time, as we encounter new people and experience new things. Our strengths and weaknesses can change over time as well as skills are used, disused, or learned. I must accept this person that I am at this moment and not pretend to be anyone else, or try and hide it.

This brings me to another observation about tests. I think the Lord recently put me through a test to see how I would respond. I've been wrestling all night and this morning with the decision I made. Did I make the right decision? Was it from faith or was it from fear? Did I pass or did I fail? Am I going to regret the choice I made in the long term? Do I move up a grade or will I be held back? The Lord's tests, however, are not graded. You don't move on to the next course. The Lord's tests are about showing you where you are at in this moment. He doesn't need to be shown. He already knows.

I don't know if the decision I made is where I think I should be, but it's where I am at the moment, and trying to deny it or cover it over helps no one; least of all me. The best I can do is just accept it and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment